Sunday, 3 October 2010

Oxfam Lunchtime Talks: Walking the Talk: How to set (and keep) an organisational target for reducing greenhouse gas ommisions (31st October 2006)

I found a bunch of notes form when I used to work at Oxfam House in Oxford. They were lunchtime talks I attended, I thought I would post them here:

Walking the Talk: How to set (and keep) an organisational target for reducing greenhouse gas ommisions (31st October 2006)

Greenpeace - office in 38 countries. Greenpeace International 3 million supporters worldwide.
Three main areas:
  • Climate Energy
  • Peace and disarment
  • Biodiversity (forests). 
Greenpeace campaigns for the elimination of problems. Why have an environment policy at all?
It's the right thing to do. Shouldn't have double standards. Shouldn't waste energy. Saving energy is cheap and smart and responsible to supporters. 
Repuatation management at a corporate level. Process worth examination. Have a baseline, know what you are doing.
Set some objectives/targets in reducing impact measures. Review process/evaluation.

Renewable energy will only replace 40%
60-70% will still be fossil fuel. Need to find cleverer ways of using fossil fuels.

Greenpeace - No internal flights, no flights to European countries and countries where you can take the train. Use public transport as much as possible. Where you use transport, use low carbon, trying to reduce the amout used per mile.
Tonne for tonne air travel is 3 times worse.
There is no such thing as carbon offsetting even if you plant trees in developing countries. It's still good to plant trees.

There's a report called 'Pumping Poverty'.

No comments: