Sunday, 3 October 2010

Oxfam Lunchtime Talks: HIV & AIDS Workplace Implementation Programme (28th November 2006)

I found a bunch of notes form when I used to work at Oxfam House in Oxford. They were lunchtime talks I attended, I thought I would post them here:


 HIV & AIDS Workplace Implementation Programme (28th November 2006)


Workplace policy designed for what Oxfam does for it's internal staff.
Gender and HIV 2 mainstream things that Oxam does. There is nowhere on Earth where HIv has not impacted as of yet.
Europe prevelance 0.1-0.5%


What's the whole issue about HIV and AIDS?
Becomes exponential 5.7 (20%) million people in South Africa are HIV +
India 5.75%
Infection lasts 3-4 weeks - Window period. Test for anti bodies not virus. Virus tests very expensive. Infection stage can pass it onto somebody else. Asymptomatic stage 3-7 years.
Normalising going for a test is helping alleviate stigma.


This was another very powerful talk I went to. This is where I learnt that young men with HIV /AIDS would rape virgins because they believed it would cure them. This is why the education based work Oxfam does is phenomenal and fantastic. Education is key!

No comments: