Sunday, 3 October 2010

Oxfam Lunchtime Talks: Lebanon (17th November 2006)

I found a bunch of notes form when I used to work at Oxfam House in Oxford. They were lunchtime talks I attended, I thought I would post them here:

Lebanon (17th November 2006)

Half the size of Israel and Wales. Very passionate about their land. 78,500 people assisted provided water, tanks, garbage disposals etc. Oxfam provided cleaning kits.  

Trust/serious and speed in which response happened. Mayor stayed throughout the war and was killed.

Psychological aspect that Oxfam were actually there. Didn't feel forgotten or alone. Current situation most agencies have left or are in the process of leaving. A lot of neighbouring Arab countries came in with aid and support. Feeling beat the Israelis.

British Government against us but we don't think the British people are the same. Worst war they have seen because it is the most aggressive. Last 7 mins of the ceasefire 34 houses were destroyed in the village. Cluster bombs filled with little bomblets, tiny size. Children can't go out and play, a boy found a cluster bomb and was playing with it as a toy and lost his hand.

People constantly living in an atmosphere of fear. War took place when tobacco and olives should be housed in. With rain they can become like landmines. Lot of olive trees have been damaged. About 30 years old, 10 years before they became productive. Also have an impace on migrant workers.

Rent has gone up because buildings have been destroyed and there are no jobs. Think the wells have been contaminated. Think that Israel soldiers have used them as toilets.

Oxfam carrying out water assessments. People very knowledgable about water.

Need awareness about bombs in arabic. People trying to get on with lives and restart businesses.

Future - Winter is coming and shortage of glass, start getting cold. Think day by day not future. Before the war the town was a very relaxed place.

No comments: