Sunday, 3 October 2010

Oxfam Lunchtime Talks: Campaign Success: Control Arms (9th November 2006)

I found a bunch of notes form when I used to work at Oxfam House in Oxford. They were lunchtime talks I attended, I thought I would post them here:

 Campaign Success: Control Arms (9th November 2006)

E-Action targeted 7 countries that had called the resolution off.
Resolution contained reference to human rights. E-Action key way of engaging people.

UN most important objectives. Seven countries had put forward a resolution for an arms trade treaty - strengthen it.
Putting pressure on co-authoring government. Human rights in it and tighter time scales. Any weapon system made from multiple destinations. Global arms trade treaty. Resolution would be introduced formally.
So easy for bullets to get though (Congo).

Resolution put forward, International team put together for lobbying. Worked very well. Get those 7 to abstain as opposed to voting no.

Go back for ratification at general assembly in November. What made it successful this time?
Process different this time as it was voting process not consensus process.
Chance to learn lessons from July.
Global team, campaigners came from all across the world. Changed way of campaigning diret to delegates and inside UN. Worked much better together as a team. Partnership with supporter governments. Reacting very well to quickly changing situations.
Big success but only a first step in getting a solid political process to happen.

During 2007 secretary general will write to states and ask what they think of ATT.
2008 develop meat and bones of arms trade treaty and report back. 25 states involved. Permanent 5 get to be on it straight away.
Another vote on treaty itself in 2008. 2010 likely time for treaty to come in place (really quick in UN terms). Working on how we will influence that. Engage with key countries and the world can really make a difference.

I was involved in the campaign and lobbying for this. Went down to the Pakistan embassy to present a letter back with Oxfam.

No comments: