I found a bunch of notes form when I used to work at Oxfam House in Oxford. They were lunchtime talks I attended, I thought I would post them here:
The Struggle for Land Rights in Post Tsunami and Post Conflict Aceh Indonesia ( 10th November 2006)
Presentation about issues rather than what Oxfam is doing. Look at land and gender in any post conflict.
Enormous devotion given to post tsunami survivors but not post conflict. If Aceh peace is not sustained everything could become pear shaped.
Style of advocacy work, very low key, non-confrontational, personal.
Pushed for joint titling for land and settlement.
Legal advice and aid possibility for the future.
Investigating military claim to land. People are very scared of the military and it is a sensitive issue.
Lobbying Clinton's office, visiting Aceh in December.
For a long time repression then political change in Indonesia and autonomy.
Loss of records, photos etc. Nobody is really doing any forward thinking and forward planning. "Property and a piece of land gives women a piece of mind".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment