Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Day 8 - Empowerment of Women

I have just been watching The Girl Effect. This is a very moving series of videos about empowering women that can then help themselves and the society they live in.

Another way I am helping in the empowerment of women is through Nani Khali project through payroll giving at work. My small donation per month, helps a young girl in India receive an education.

I am all for the empowerment of women, it is not something that only 'happens in a developing nation' it is still very prevalent in our very own society.

On a day to day basis it is obvious that power well and truly resides with the male of the species. For a woman to break through, for a woman to be a leader, a manager, a scrum master, a VP, a developer,  a .... list goes on is very difficult. It's always a constant struggle, always fighting to prove your worth, to prove you are just as good and always justifying why you belong in that position/role/etc. It shouldn't be this way at all.  It's even more difficult if you are an 'ethnic minority' (I hate that word).

We should do whatever it takes to ensure we help empower women, and that we believe they are our equals and in no way inferior. Both men and women should take these actions. This inequality is very obvious in the 'developing nation' and much more subtle in the 'developed nation'. The next time you are at work/out for a coffee/out for a meal just observe the situation and analyse the gender (im)balance.

There are many ways you can help empower women,  and good starting points are the links I have provided above.

No comments: