Monday, 22 January 2007

Post University Campaigning

When I left University, during the summer I wanted to become much more involved in campaigning in particular with an NGO, so one day whilst I was sitting at my Computer I looked up the Oxfam Campaigns Office. I rang them up to ask if I could volunteer, Ruth Stockdale suggested I send my CV and would then be invited for an interview. I went to the interview and was told I could have a 6 month placement as a volunteer (I was only there for 4 though). Throughout my 4 months there, I was mainly supporting the work of the full time campaigners.
My main role was of a campaigns assistant. I was heavily involved in organising the local event for ‘Stand Up Against Poverty Day of Action’. This involved finding different faith groups and community groups, writing and sending out letters to invite them to the event. Finding a venue, finding entertainment and speakers for the event. It also involved writing to local venues asking them to ask their audiences to get involved with breaking the world record. I also wrote to MPs to get them involved too. The event was very successful.

I also helped in finding delegates for the Control Arms day of action. We then went down to London to lobby MPs and I was also a delegate visiting the Pakistani embassy.

Other things I did were getting involved with Outreach and even co-ordinated a few of the events. Some of the events I went to were B91 Festival , Kerrang Battle of the Bands and University Freshers fairs. Before I left for Oxford (as I was offered a full time job as an Oxfam employee) I helped (and encouraged) in setting up the Oxfam society at a University and at the Freshers fair we got many people to sign up.

No comments: