During my second year at University I became much more involved in societies such as Amnesty International, Ethical trade, People and Planet, Anti- Racism and Anti -Fascism. I set up the Vegetarian and Vegan Society, where we did quite a fair amount of campaigning work. As well as that I was the Vice Chair of the Ethical and Environmental Committee and the Welfare Officer for the Women’s association.
We held a very successful Ethical and Environmental week where on each day we had various activities, such as ‘Beat Down Genocide’, ‘Fair Trade Coffee Morning’ and many stalls and other activities.
Throughout the year I was involved with many different campaigning and fundraising activities.
With people and planet we campaigned for a full time ‘Green Officer’ at the University. With the Stop AIDS society we held stalls and tied a huge AIDS ribbon on the University library.
We held various stalls in the Guild, one of them being the Control Arms Stall for the million faces petition.
With the Women’s Association I was involved in the organisation of ‘Reclaim the Night’
I also got involved with the International Women’s Day, where we had an Open Mic Night.
Around Comic relief time, as part of COGS (the computer science society I used to run) we held a fundraising event at Computer Science, where a group of us held stalls to sell cakes and other things. We had a raffle and the circus society performed tricks to raise money.
When the Tsunami hit in Indonesia there was a university wide attempt to raise money, we went out and held stalls collecting money. There was also an event called ‘Foot Aid’ which was a 24 hour football competition to raise money for the Tsunami appeal. As well as football there were more circus activities, tents with people playing music and so forth.
That pretty much covers the main core of the campaigning stuff I did during my University days in a nutshell.
Monday, 22 January 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment